Thursday, February 25, 2010

Uninvited Guests

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  (2 Peter 3:9)


So...I love me some birds.  I think it's so neat that even after I have not filled my feeders for a few days and they pretty much disappear, I can refill the feeders and within minutes the birds are back...ALL of them.  I love the beautiful birds...of course the cardinal, the chickadee (Kinsey's favorite), the gold finch, the tufted titmouse, and the blue bird.  Sidenote: I currently have no blue birds because the sparrows have taken over their house :(  I get very excited when my yard is filled with beautiful birds, but I have found that I get annoyed when the "ugly" birds, the scavengers, the food hogs come and eat all the bird's food.  So what do I do?  I bang on the window to scare them off!  Even though I like doves (primarily because they are monogamous birds) I tend to bang on the window at them because they are feeder hogs!!  I especially dislike the starlings and the black birds because the starlings are ugly to me, and the black birds remind me of satan. 

God's truth to me about the starlings is this:  "They are my creation; they have a purpose; I love them; and they need fed too."  As I stare out the window at the birds I could care less about, my heart steered toward His people creation.  How many times have I judged someone because of how they looked, or what I felt that they had to offer, by the lifestyle that they choose or by the simple fact that they didn't look or act like me?  (I know!  UGHHH!)  God is sweetly but firmly showing me that ALL of His creation has a purpose and meaning to Him.  Just as the pretty birds need fed, so do the ones we perceive as "ugly".  He wants ALL of His creation to come to Him for the feeding of their souls. 

Who or what is a starling to you?