Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Watered and Fed


"He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither." (Psalm 1:3)
Planting in containers poses many challenges. It is very exciting at the beginning of Spring and Summer to go the nursery and stock up on new plants to make my yard look beautiful. I am very diligent when I first plant to water regularly to ensure growth. The problem with container plants like these ferns are that they need constant attention because they don't have enough soil to keep them from drying out quickly and not much room for their roots to spread out and flourish. The fern on the left has been neglected, while the fern on the right has been fed regularly.
I am reminded that taking time to focus on my relationship with Christ keeps me fed and healthy. Keeping watered by staying in His Word, looking for Him in His Creation, and basically being preoccupied with Him throughout the day keeps the soil of my heart moist and ready for growth.