Friday, November 20, 2009

Obstacles to Worship

I've recently started training for a 1/2 marathon. I have done several in the past, but haven't done one in several years. Today's run was 3 miles. It is a beautiful, crisp, sunny day today, and as I started to run, I began listening to my Ipod. Music is my heart's language, so it feeds me to zone out to the words of my favorites.

As I traveled along, I came to a hill (which I despise) which changed my breathing patterns. It was not as easy, and became quite difficult to regulate it again. During that time, one of my favorite songs "Lead Me to the Cross" by Hillsong was playing in my ears, and what I realized was that the entire song passed without me even thinking about the words or worshipping to them, all because I was preoccupied with my breathing.

Our lives tend to be that way as welll. When the road is even with nothing to waiver our breathing or be an obstacle to us, it is easy to keep our mind stayed on the Lord, but bring those hills, obstacles, or frustrations, and it is very easy to take our eyes off of the One who wants to help us, the One who loves us, the One who wants the very best for us.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2)