Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm a Grandmother!!

For two weeks, I have been watching a robin carefully, methodically build her nest, lay her eggs, and screech at anyone who disturbed her. She laid three eggs, but only two survived. We have had the most gorgeous past two weeks, up until this past weekend when we got the most rainfall in two days that I have ever witnessed. Tennessee got 25 percent of our yearly rainfall in two days. I have never seen such flooding. 22 have lost their lives so far, which absolutely breaks my heart.  In the midst of the downpours, I kept a close eye on my robin.  Rain poured down upon her all day for two days, but like devoted mothers do, she sat patiently on her nest all weekend long, knowing, like a mother's heart does, that her precious ones were soon to arrive.  Today is Monday, and after a long and frightening weekend, we awoke to the glorious glow of the sunshine.  When I checked on the nest, this is the sight that I found!!!  Life came out of the dark of the rainy, flood-filled weekend.  Hallelujah!  I feel like a grandmother!  (Gigi is what I want to be called)