Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lifeless Limbs


So, I've been staring at this tree with a broken limb for days.  It happens to be in my view as I watch the sun rise.  With all the strong limbs around it, my eyes are continually drawn to the broken limb, the limb that no longer has life in it and just needs to be cut off.

"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 15:2)

The truth that keeps invading my mind is how in our lives we have broken places, even places that are completely severed, and totally lifeless, that need to be "cut off", but we continue to drag them behind us like a lifeless limb.

God promises us that "He has made everything beautiful in its time", (Ecc. 3:11) even that broken limb.  Maybe it needs to be cut off so that it can be made into a fire to warm someone, maybe it can be used to build something, or maybe even chopped up into mulch to nourish the earth.  Whatever the use, that broken limb can be used for good, just as our brokenness can be used to minister to others.

Are you carrying around dead limbs?