Friday, January 15, 2010

The Wounded

So, I'm on my run this morning, being very "God aware", asking Him to teach me as I ran.  I'm finding that I see Him lots more when I get OUT!  I encourage any of you reading that do not get outdoors much to bundle up and get ready for His Glory!  He's out there waiting!  Now, I'm not saying that He can't give you spiritual truths while you're doing laundry, scrubbing toilets, or vacuuming, but it's much prettier outside.

I'm running down Riverview Drive when I happen upon a squirrel that had been hit and killed by a car.  It was obvious that it hadn't been there long because of the way it lay as if it just looked like it was taking a nap in the road.  As I passed, my mind went to a place of, "Maybe it's still alive, and I just need to gently move it to the grass so it will survive.  Next thought, "If I pick that wounded thing up, it will surely BITE ME"!  It was obvious that it was dead, but here's where God began weaving His teaching into my heart.

Just like it was very probable if I picked up a wounded animal and it bit me, that is very true of humans as well.  Mike and I have an awesome privilege of walking with wounded people every day.  Unfortunately, as we try to pick them up and move them to the side of the road, they BITE.  Hurting people have a tendency to hurt people, but even as Jesus was being spat upon, whipped, scourged, ridiculed, and ultimately slain, He did not bite back. 

It is so hard as imperfect humans to grasp that fact, but as I learned in a great way at Passion in Atlanta, "3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." (2Peter 1:3)  We have EVERYTHING THAT WE NEED when life, or the people in life BITE US.  We just have to access that Divine Power instead of relying on our own strength.